About the PMHC-MDS
Funding by the Australian Government Department of Health has been provided to Primary Health Networks (PHNs) through a Primary Mental Health Care flexible funding pool to support commissioning of mental health and suicide prevention services in six key service delivery areas:
- low intensity psychological interventions for people with, or at risk of, mild mental illness;
- psychological therapies delivered by mental health professionals to under serviced groups;
- early intervention services for children and young people with, or at risk of mental illness;
- services for people with severe and complex mental illness who are being managed in a primary care setting;
- enhanced Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander mental health services; and
- a regional approach to suicide prevention activities with a focus on improved follow-up for people who have attempted suicide or are at high risk of suicide.
The Primary Mental Health Care Minimum Data Set (PMHC MDS) will provide the basis for PHNs and the Department of Health to monitor and report on the quantity and quality of service delivery, and to inform future improvements in the planning and funding of primary mental health care services funded by the Australian Government.
The data reported by PHNs through the PMHC MDS will form the basis for production of key performance indicators used to monitor services delivered across the 31 PHN regions covered by PHNs.
Strategic Data Pty Ltd has been contracted by the Department of Health to manage the PMHC MDS on its behalf.
A specification of the data items to be collected in the PMHC MDS is available.
If you would like to be notified about updates to this specification or announcements about the rollout of the PMHC MDS please subscribe to the PMHC MDS mailing list by sending an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject “subscribe email@example.com”. This is not a general discussion list. Only moderated users can send messages to this list.
Information about how to get started on the PMHC MDS is available and will be regularly updated.
Update to the PMHC MDS Service Provider Quick Reference Guide - 22/9/2017
The PMHC MDS Service Provider Quick Reference Guide Version 1.2 was released on September 22, 2017
The PMHC MDS Service Provider QUICK REFERENCE Guide is a resource intended to describe key issues and concepts related to the collection of, and provision of data to, the PMHC MDS for mental health service providers. For more detailed information regarding the PMHC MDS, see the PMHC MDS Data Specifications.
There are two versions of the PMHC MDS Service Provider Quick Reference Guide. If you are a service provider, it is recommended that you use the PDF version produced by the Department of Health. If you are a Primary Health Network, you can use the word version to tailor some of the information to your local context.
Section 9 of the PMHC MDS Service Provider Quick Reference Guide has been updated to reflect that where the client consents, identifiable data can be passed onto PHNs but only anonymised data will be provided to the Department of Health.